Follow us

Shared Ownership

Shared Ownership Property Solicitors

Our experienced Property Lawyers will assist you with purchasing a property under the shared ownership scheme.

Shared Ownership or Affordable Home Ownership Schemes allow you to purchase a share of your home, typically between 25% and 75%, with the part not purchased being held by a Housing Association or Registered Social Landlord to who you will pay rent.

The Shared Ownership scheme provides an option for people who may be struggling to buy their own homes and is primarily aimed at first-time buyers who are looking to purchase newly built homes.

To find out if you qualify for the shared ownership scheme, you can call us on 020 8446 9555, or you can visit the GOV UK website, but to summarise, you should qualify if:

• Your household earns less than £80,000 a year outside of London and £90,000 a year or less in London
• You are a first-time buyer
• You used to own a home, and you now cannot afford to buy a new one
• You are an existing shared owner
• You are currently renting a council or housing association property, and you may be entitled to enter the scheme

If you are over 55, you are also entitled to access the Older People’s Shared Ownership (OPSO) scheme, which has the added benefit that once you own 75% of the property, you do not pay rent on the remaining 25%.

If you have a long-term disability, you may be able to access the HOLD scheme if other Right to Buy schemes do not meet your needs.

Once you have purchased your property through the Shared Ownership scheme, you can buy up to 100% of your property based on the property’s value when you seek to buy an additional share. If you own more of your home, you will pay less rent. This is referred to as ‘staircasing’.

Due to the rules relating to Shared Ownership schemes, it is advisable to seek legal advice when purchasing a property to ensure that the rules are appropriately interpreted and applied to you.

How we help

When instructing the Pittalis LLP Property Team, you can be assured that you will be given the appropriate advice to secure the purchase of your home through the scheme, whether you are making a first time purchase or buying additional shares (staircasing).

We will ensure that all the legal matters are handled efficiently and correctly. You will be allocated a personal Property Solicitor to who you will have direct access.

Get in touch

To speak with a member of our Residential Property team, please call us on 020 8446 9555, email us at info@pittalis.co.uk or make an online enquiry here and we will call you back.